Maintaining your de-icer in the off season is the best way to prolong its use for many years. Proper maintenance requires more than just removal from water and placing it into dry storage. Follow the steps to help to keep your de-icer in the best shape for many years of open water in the winter.
Make sure to print these steps as well so you can take them with you and keep a record for future use.
- Remove unit from the water:
- Take note of date(s) when unit was removed:
- Clean exterior of unit with a soft brush and non-acid cleaner (if needed). This is easier to perform when unit is removed from water but still wet.
- Take notes on the condition after removal:
- Check and replace zinc anode (if needed)
- Take note of replacement date(s):
- Check propeller for any cracks or chips
- Take note on propeller conditions
- Examine power cord for any damage
- Take note on cord condition
- Every 3 years of use, have it sent in for seals and oil replacement
- Date(s) sent in for replacement
- Store indoors upside down (prop pointing down)
After following these steps, your de-icer will be properly cleaned and stored for the warmer months. When the winter months quickly come back around, your unit will be ready for use.
If you have questions about cleaning, storing or sending in your de-icer for repair, contact our experienced tech team at 715-262-4488 or email@example.com.